Wednesday, August 03, 2005



Sooey Razorbacks!


Hey! Time for some more kiddie photos. Now, not having any of my own, I have to borrow. This here is my 9 year old cousin, Garrett Rose. On my only trip outside of the Hub City on my vacation, I went with my wife and mom to my cousins. They live near Medina, Texas, which is about an hour northwest of San Antonio. They have almost 500 acres in the hill country and have one of their houses resting atop one of those hills. My cousin, Lance - Garrett's father, set up deer feeders spaced around their land. Now an ex-hunter, he said he did so just because he likes the animals. No more shooting of Bambi. However, the free grub also attracts others, most notably, feral hogs. These are not javelinas (I think) but just plain old hogs that got loose and bred with...something else. Or so said my Uncle Don. Maybe my cousins can clarify if they read this. These hogs wreck the feeders and very capably destroy roads. Therefore, they are varmits in need of being put down. And there are few in that area more precise with a firearm than Garrett. One night, I noticed a hog come up behind the house and start to mess with a feeder. Garrett promptly got one of his guns - a .223 rifle, single shot, Thompson Center - climbed a tree and took aim. Against admonitions from Uncle Don to not try a head shot, he did just that. Look here for a pic of the shot from 120 yards, at night,in a tree.


3 comments:

Kevlar said...

I don't care if the pig is feral. It is a road hazard and your cousin has too much land without entertainment. So they don't have electricity to run and x-box. Killing dangerous animals is important. Bread is stopping all the bambis and elks from entering Canada. Texan 9 year olds are stoppig the rabbid pigs from running 1000 miles. I can sleep better tonight. Oh yeah, nice shot.

Anonymous said...

Damn! Send that boy to Iraq!

Anonymous said...

that little shit should have just shot the pig in the ass w/ buckshot and not murdered the poor beast !!! assholes :(