Tuesday, August 30, 2005

G-Love = C-Rap

I thought I had left it behind me in Lubbock. However, back in Taichung I've come across the new Coke song for Coke Zero (no idea, no interest). In the new commercial, they remake the cheese classic "Hilltop" I'd like to teach to world to sing (click here for music and lyrics or here for the video of the commercial - mouse over chilltop then click hilltop), which was truly hippy-dippy but still memorable and singable. I just tuned out the "honey bees" and "snow white turtle doves" and sang the words a 7 year old was more comfortable with, like "Coke," "keep," "real thing," and "want."

Now, we go from hilltop - a real place, an actual hill top - to a state of mind: Chilltop. Wait, maybe that does make sense. A location word formed from a verb and a noun. Like Shithouse! The top of an building in Philly with a white rapper/singer, G-Love, and assorted earnestly-staring, sartorially-deprived youths. Yeah, now it's all clear. Please go here to see G-Love and the New Christy Liberals rap and sing I'd like to teach the world to chill. They would also like you to note in the bottom left corner that Your mind is your crib. Chill and He who is most chill wins. More coccyx-tingling fun awaits you at wordlchill. I can only hope PJ's I-Mesozoic has enough bandwidth so we can play this 500 times and stifle any future Entire-day-of-playing-the-only-GLove-CD-I-have. Anyway, who needs coke when you have Dr. Pepper?

No comments: