Thursday, October 13, 2005

I need your help.

I am currently supervising 3 students from my school, I-Ning Jr./Sr. School, who are going to attend the World School International Forum. They are Taiwan's only representative. They must have an exhibit that ties a cultural introduction to the country (Taiwan) to the theme of - for God's sake, Communication. Media Literacy in the 21st Century together. This is what I've thought of so far. Also keep in mind that it will be held in Japan, so cell phones and such are pretty much a given.

Here is a definition I found of media: a channel or system of communication, information, or entertainment. I don't know what literacy means.

  • Puppet shows - showing and continuing culture, mythology...
  • Sound trucks
  • Couplets at Chinese New Year - my wife had the observation that they were telling people on the outside what their wishes were.
  • Flyers and the little hooker-bait stick ons
  • Temples - Again, my wife tells me that temples are regularly used as a source of info.

I wish my students well. They will be in Japan for 12 days, I will not. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

3 comments:

Red A said...

Uh, how about chat feature on 3 Kingdoms on-line?

LOL.

I think they'll like anything dude - I'd focus more on the culture part since that's more interesting than "media literacy."

nosta said...

Media literacy means they know who Ah-bian is just from pictures and can spot the commies by their red flags and yellow stars.

I'd suggest something like an image of the green island's democratic traditions, symbolizable, I reckon, in a pic of the Presidential Palace and some aborigine songs. Or something...Good luck!

Red A said...

Thanks for explaining what "media literacy" means - it doesn't realy follow from it's name.