Sunday, October 30, 2005

HP IV: Lutger the German


Lutger loves beer. So does John. So do a lot of people. The following discussion took place some years ago at the New York Pub in the heart of Changhua city. It began with what was a seemingly harmless hypothetical question from John...

J: So, Lutger, if you were going to get a tattoo, what would you get?
L: I would not get a tattoo.
J: Yeah, but if you were to get one...
L: But I would never do that.
J: Supposing you decided one day that you wanted a tattoo, what would it be?
L: That would never happen.
J: What if you were drinking with some friends and ended up in a tattoo parlor with all kinds of images on the walls, what would you get? An eagle, a motorbike...
L: I would get nothing.
J: Come on, for fun. I understand you don't want one, but what would you get if you got one?
L: I cannot say.
J: Why not?
L: It would never happen.
J: But if it happened, what would you get?
L: I get nothing. It would not happen.
J: (getting exasperated) OK, let's say that eight large men force you into a chair and say you are getting a tattoo whether you like it or not and you must choose one of the tattoos on the wall.
L: Why would they do that?
J: I don't know, just because.
L: There must be some reason. It makes no sense.
J: You're tied down to the chair and you can't leave until you get a tattoo. You gotta choose one.
L: I do not choose.
J: But you might as well choose something cool. Something you can live with.
L: I choose nothing.
J: But you must!
L: Why must I? I do not choose. You choose for me.
J: But they or I might choose something really stupid. You should at least choose something you may remotely want.
L: No. How can I choose a tattoo when I don't want one?
J: You're not making sense!
L: I do not choose. Bah! We drink! I am Lutger!
J: (flummoxed as all hell)

If I recall correctly, JW agreed to drink but never again asked a German engineer a hypothetical question. I could be wrong of course as my wire tap at PJ's has recently fizzled.
Some say this is what made JW pack up and move to Taichung.

4 comments:

Kevlar said...

This halloween past stuff is spooky. I always thought John moved away from the Hua because of his wife's interest in changing teams.

Kevlar said...

Rye if you keep Razing John he might go all Eminem on you and rap your trailer park butt.

J-hole said...

What the hell is HP?

Rye said...

a) high profile
b) holy potato
c) hombre polka
d) halloweens past (check for beer bottle post)