Sunday, February 04, 2007

Taiwan's anthem still alive in Grenada

In 2005 Grenada abandoned diplomatic ties with Taiwan, recognizing China instead. Part of the deal was a brand new stadium to be bought and paid for by Beijing, replacing one destroyed by a hurricane in 2004. At the inauguration, attended by a Chinese envoy, the Royal Grenada Police Band launched into a rendition of Taiwan's national anthem by mistake... the Chinese envoy was apparently "visibly uncomfortable."

BBC story here.

and get this - the PM was reportedly "saddened" and said that the incident "breaks his heart". Really? Heartbroken? I guess when you're a diplomat you have to say these things...

I feel like I should know this but does anyone know the name of Taiwan's anthem?
I hear it almost every day at school, I'll try to pay more attention tomorrow...

btw, anyone remember the Jays - Braves 1992 World Series game in Atlanta when they flew the Canadian flag upside down? Hardly heartbreaking but hey these things must happen all the time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what happened to kevlar and captain beer?

Red A said...

DON'T POST FOOTBALL RESULTS - MANY PEOPLE WILL WATCH IT TONIGHT.

Red A said...

I believe I can recall two other flag/anthem incidents.

One was in El Salvador where they played the PRC anthem for the Taiwanese visitors...

and I recall hearing a story about a Boy Scouts international jamboree where they used a Nazi flag for Germany (whooops.)