Thursday, February 15, 2007

An Aggie Greeting

Valentine's Day is big in Taiwan. We have about 3 of them, I think. This Valentine's falls 4 days before Chinese New Year's Day, so most people are already off work, clogging the restaurants for holiday delicacies such as The Splendor's "INCREDI-POT" in a Neo-Zen decor or Healthy Gelatin Substance Noodles at Pebbles Restaurant.

Wednesday while on my scooter waiting at a traffic light, I was approached by another driver who stopped on my right. Evidently, he had seen the Texas Tech logo on the back of my helmet. He then looked at me, smiled and introduced himself by saying, " Texas A&M, class of 2006" and making a gun gesture with two hands and "shooting" me. I don't know if he had already seen the results of Tech's victory in College Station and was trying to be polite in his expression of dissatisfaction or just giving me a neighborly capping (I suspect the latter because his "gun" was in the classic gang grip - two handed, parallel to the ground, with a half limp wrist).

Well, we talked just briefly at the next light and he seemed a good guy. But he couldn't get away without doing something to prove his Aggie credentials. Sure enough, coming to a stop at the next light he starts rubbing his face. It looked as though he was using a classic two-handed domino shake to rid himself of some demon or hangover. However, he was not stopped, just in the process of coming to a stop. He went a good 4 seconds of driving blind, with no hands, on a major road and not dying. That my friends, is an Aggie waiting to happen.

1 comment:

Chaon said...

That is a delightfully charming story.

If I saw someone riding a motorcycle and sporting a U of Florida Gator logo on their helmet, I'd run them off the road, then get out of my car and beat them with a tire iron.