Monday, May 15, 2006

Palindromes!

I wrote this for Senior II kids at Wei Dao. I was just prepping the cheat sheet for teachers when it struck me, I'll just post the damn thing! Let's see how yall do.

A palindrome is a word or phrase that reads the same both backward & forward.

Find the palindromes.

It’s the new semester and Bob is helping his friend Amy Ma move into
her new apartment. Bob is very tired because he was playing poker until early that morning.

Amy Ma: Wow! Thanks for helping me Bob! I know you’re really tired.

Bob: No problem Amy, it gave me a chance to try out my new racecar. It was designed by NASA engineers!

Amy: You bought a new car! What a coincidence! Dee’s brother just got a new car too! She says it’s as fast as the wind!

Bob: Mine too. That’s why I’ve got police radar installed. Is Dee coming to help us?

Amy: No, she can’t. Dee saw a seed in her garden that she had never seen before. Maybe she’ll come by later when we’ve finished.

Bob: Where’s your brother, Peel?

Amy: Peel’s asleep. He was playing poker last night too.

Bob: Oh, that’s right. What about Delia? What happened to her?

Amy: Bad news. Delia failed out of school. She bought a kayak and moved to the coast.

Bob: That’s too bad.

Amy: Oh! And good news! My Dad won the lottery! He retired from refereeing!

Bob: He did, eh? He should have hired some moving men for you.

Amy: Oh, Bob! He’s paying for this apartment! See, referees take care of their daughters.

Bob: Well, let’s get started. What floor are you on?

Amy: The fifth. (Bob groans)

(Bob looks down and sees twenty boxes of books on the sidewalk)

Bob: And I suppose there’s no elevator….You have as many books as a library!

Amy: Well, I am a student.

Bob: Hey! I know that book!

(Amy looks down and sees the title of the book Bob is pointing at.)

Amy: “A Man, A Plan, A Canal: Panama.”

Bob: I read it last year. It’s not bad. Heh, heh! Maybe Delia should paddle her kayak through the canal!

(Bob crouches down to pick up the first box. It’s really heavy.)

Amy: Pull up, Bob, pull up!

Bob: Help me!

Amy: OK, let’s do it together. Pull up if I pull up!

(They both lift together. The box won’t move.)

Bob: It’s hopeless! Hey, what’s this sign say?

Amy: “Step on no pets”.

Bob: They allow pets in this building? That explains the smell.

(Just then a handsome Spaniard approaches snacking on a bag of nuts. He looks at Amy Ma and says…)

Stranger: Madam, I’m Adam. Can I give you a hand? Boy, you have a lot of tuna! I’ll trade you a nut for a jar of tuna!


11 comments:

Bread said...

did you play the they might be giants song, i palindrome i?

Rye said...

no I wasn't aware of that song but I'll check it out.

Did you figure out who Cpn Beer is yet?

Anonymous said...

“Step on no pets”.

Anonymous said...

Madam, I’m Adam

Anonymous said...

Pull up if I pull up!

Anonymous said...

A Man, A Plan, A Canal: Panama.”

Anonymous said...

Peel’s asleep

Red A said...

a nut for a jar of tuna

J-hole said...

Dee saw a seed, Amy Ma

Rye said...

heh heh, you guys rock!

Anonymous said...

able was i ere i saw elba's underwear