Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Why Canadianers Flock to Taiwan

Just like the the Irish potato famine forced millions of Fenian scum to emigrate to America, economic doom in the Maritimes is driving hordes of Canadianers to Taiwan to escape their plight.

Clinging to the gunwales of Evergreen container ships loaded full of the manufactured homes repossessed from their kinfolk, these poor souls arrive in the promised land of Taiwan only to once again be exploited by unscrupulous bushiban owners like the hermaphrodite Tony Chen.

Meanwhile, the government tries to stem the flood.

Yes, a bunch of empty rubber boots is really going to attract me to immigrate to Novie Scoshie. Maybe they should try to highlight the economic future for potential immigrants, "Come to Nova Scotia for a generation and get your children qualified as native speakers before they return to the Old Country!"

At least they were honest and didn't try to show photos of hot bikini chicks frolicking in the sun. "Hey, we told you that you'd need galoshes. Six pairs in fact. It's on the website."

Okay, I keeeeed, I keeeeed, but seriously what about those $1,000 homes on the Newfie Riviera in the article? Is that for real? Are those prices in C$? What's my mortgage payment on one of those? Assuming I pay like, 10% down. Yeah, I have my wallet with me so it would be in cash.

Update: People are leaving America, too. (h/t Instapundit.) I guess we will experience a housing depression as a result. Meanwhile, I just finished payment on my new home. Why not come over next week for my housewarming party? Please come through the side door marked: S-E-R-V-I-C-E (that's French for 'friends entrance') and bring some mops and buckets, s'il vous plait.


2 comments:

Rye said...

I feel like most of the Canadians I've met here have not been from the Maritimes or Newfoundland at all, but from "oil rich Alberta". BC and Ontario too. I'd be interested to know how that breaks down. A provincial per capita percentage or something. Does anyone keep track of this stuff?

By the way, my brother's house is for sale too. Nice place. Centrally located downtown Woodstock.

Kevlar said...

Nice house A-Hole. Do you need a gardener? I could learn to speak Spainish.