Saturday, August 04, 2007

Northern Command, Musical Minutes

J-Hole is back in town for those of you who missed him. I met him briefly with D-Wayne at Northern Command Wed. night. He's bearded, more salt then pepper, (sorry, no pics) and has an outdoors-y feel about him. We talked mostly about fantasy sports, myself and D about baseball, which excluded John, D and John about football, which excluded me. Damn, D-Wayne is so fucking versatile. Anyway, then, suddenly the conversation took an unexpected turn.

D: Yeah, I like Ottawa, there's lots to do there. Beautiful city. Good shows.

J: Shows? You mean, like, concerts?

D: No, like musicals and stuff. I've seen a bunch.

R: Really! I saw Steve Earle in Ottawa. He was THIS BIG!

J: What have you seen?

D: I saw Grease...

(John nods his approval)

D: ...and some other famous ones, Phantom of the Opera, you know.

J: Okay, but what's the best musical of all time?

D: Grease.

J: No.

R: Are you asking Dwayne's opinion?

J: Yes.

D: I just gave it you. Grease!

J: No, that's number two! (he makes the vee sign)

R: Guys and Dolls!

J: No! (looks at me contemptuously)

D: Miss Saigon!

J: No! (spins cap on finger, rolls eyes)

R: Sound of Music!

D: Cats!

R: Riverdance!

J: NO! NO! NO! (looks exasperated and incredulous)

R: I know, Paint Your Wagon!

J: (big smile, points a crooked finger at me) YES! that's right man!

R: I knew it! We've had this conversation before.

D: But that's your opinion, not mine.

J: NO! Paint Your Wagon is number one, Grease is number two!

D: I only know Paint Your Wagon from the Simpsons.

R: Me too! "Here comes Lee Marvin, he's always drunk and violent!"

D: Just like John! No wonder you like it so much.

J: Greatest musical ever, man. Glad yall got it right.

R: Do you have a copy of the soundtrack?

(WARNING: some readers may have heard this part of the story before)

J: When I lived with Tom and Will, I had that cassette, and those fuckers they stole it! Or it disappeared, I don't know but it always seemed to me to be very suspicious. I mean, I listened to it every day!

D: Gee, no wonder it disappeared.

R: Have you ever replaced it?

J: NO!

D: God, you're stubborn.

J: NO!

No comments: