Friday, August 31, 2007

Hola Carrefour

Firstly, I think that I should be thanked for not posting about this morning's visit to my hematologist which quickly revealed my versatile doctor to be every bit as eager as Jack Elam to deploy his middle digit in The Cannonball Run. Really. Thank me. Or you will hear about it.


This morning's clump of fliers included Carrefour's and their obvious attempt to deflate the impending opening of Costco in Taichung. Costco will open in November, though the actual date was not set when I went there. They do have an office open to view products, watch their videos and sign up for membership. If you are interested, here are the details.


Personal Membership (Gold Star Member) - $1,200NT a year. This will include two photo ID cards. But if done before the opening, they will give you a third card you can give to a friend or a family member. Split it three ways and it's $400 apiece. The next year's membership is $1,200 for the two cards and the gift card recipient will also have to pay the same if they would like to retain it. However, if you use your China Trust credit card during the year to make purchases of $90,000NT, the next year's membership fee is free. This is not limited to purchases at Costco, but anything purchased with the China Trust card. Costco accepts, cash, China Trust cards and AmEx (pretty sure it's AmEx. I just know we didn't have the correct kind of card). Nicely enough, the people helping you complete your membership are actually China Trust employees. A China Trust card is now in the mail. I just hope it's more than the $500US limit on my other one.


Business Membership - Not sure. I think they give it to you free with an X-Box. I did see a $500 figure on the sign for businesses but just figured it was that or the X-Box.

Back to the Carrefour flier. The online cover features Max Von Sydow dressed like Uncle Sam beholding a bag of Friday's Quesadilla Chips. Here, let's a look at one of the pages.


What do we have here? Chicken enchiladas, black bean enchiladas, a bean and cheese burrito and cheese quesadillas. And all made in the USA - see the red, white and blue ovals with 美國製造? It doesn't say where in the US so I guess I'll go and sample one and see if they have more info.

Bonus pic for our Canadianer friends in Taichung. Heard Special Dinners have become scarce.

8 comments:

Red A said...

Bean & Cheese Burrito: your basic frozen burrito. Not bad.

Cheese Enchilada: Again, its frozen food, but its not bad.

Tofu & Bean Enchilada: For something that says 'vegan' on the packaging, it was really good. Only 340 calories.

Quesadilla: Pretty basic.

They also have fake Cheez-its and a southwest flavored popcorn - I have not tried those yet.

D-Wayne said...

Red A: for even TRYING a "tofu and bean enchilada", especially one that says vegan, you should be forced to go to J-Hole's doctor twice a week for year.

Red A said...

Ah, but since I eat vegan now, my colon and prostate are PRISTINE, no?

J-hole said...

Wanna know about my prostate? I got loads of new info yesterday.

Anonymous said...

One catch with the 'guest' member card is that the year begins with the date you sign up so if you signed up today you'd effectively lose two months because Costco isn't opening til Nov. Better to sign up closer to the opening date.
They might change that rule because some people have been griping about it.

J-hole said...

The guest gets an application form and can turn it in when they want to. We gave ours to my sister-in-law and she is still waiting to turn it in.

John Naruwan said...

I wouldn't advise that she wait too long. There's bound to be a huge crush of guest card applicants in the last week before the opening.

Red A said...

I got my card through my mom. Ones from the States work. I guess Texas isn't allowed to have Costco, you know, because of the dry county policy or something.

BTW, the wife reports all of the frozen enchiladas were sold out on Saturday.