Friday, April 01, 2005

Tom, this one's for you

Well, it seems I owe an apology to an old friend. Back in my Changhua days, I met a guy from California and we turned out to be good friends. Me being from Texas and him from The Land that God Forgot, we naturally had a little rivalry. So, you could have understood me when I was more than a bit skeptical about some of his claims. One of them centered on his alma mater, Chico State University. They won the first, I think, Top Party School from Playboy. He also insisted that businesses loved them because they could "party a lot and still graduate and stuff." That, was what got under my skin.

Recent events have proven me wrong. Despite two recent tragedies, please see " Another blow to Chico State's image", these Wildcats have stiffened up and not allowed the past to stain them. So when some corporate headhunters from Shane's World ( an art-house production company, I think) came to town offering some real-life, hands-on experience, the Wildcats bit. They did not wallow in remorse or fall prey to feelings of guilt. Rather, the excited aspirants went head-to-head for a chance to fill one of the coveted slots. The Wildcats immediately assumed multiple positions with the company. Displaying their business acumen, the Wildcats lucky enough to be selected forewent payment on the hopes of making it big. Booze, blood, sweat, and yes, even a few tears, are the heroes in this story. For, in the end, they came out on top. They have proven themselves. Never again will they succumb.

2 comments:

Red A said...

Will brought this story up at Spring Scream, too.

Anonymous said...

Apology accepted. It takes a big man to admit he is wrong.