Friday, January 05, 2007

Whole Lotta OGC

Nice, Karl, but the Red Army Choir should stop wasting its time backing up some Finnish cover band and throw in with some real rockers like these guys. The stentorian blasting of "SIN CITY" or "LET THERE BE ROCK" by a 100-plus Singing Ivans backed by electric guitar would be enough to cure even a Billy Bragg fan of their whining, droning, narcoleptic music tastes. (How long will it take Karl to respond defending Billy? I give him about 5 minutes after seeing this).

下 一 項

The semester is almost over and my school enters into a two week winter school of some sorts. No grades are given and we just sorta do what we like for that time. My supervisor has been urging us to teach them some songs because they just love to sing. I, personally, have never noticed they love to do anything in English class other than practice their cussing and think of new terms for masturbating. No? Yes. For example , "Teacher, do you OGC?" Are you stumped like I was? Then, take a pencil and write a capital O. Below it, write a capital G with the open space facing down. Finally, write a capital C with its open space also facing down, under the G. What do you have? About 95% of my students' efforts directed towards English, that's what.

Anyhoo, regarding songs. We have yearly singing contests with each class picking one song of their own and singing another mandatory one. Like the "Do, Re, Me" song or "Que Sera." After 20 or so renditions everyone is ill. So, I have decided to inject a little life into the music. Enter rock and roll. I need songs that have lyrics that don't need acid to be understood, no f-bombs and hopefully have some practical phrases. The songs also need to have a video that can be found and shown online - you know, for motivation. So far I have come up with No One Like You and Hot For Teacher. Other suggestions more than welcome.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never liked Billy Bragg much, always loved AC/DC.

The OGC joke took me about 15 minutes to understand. I am helluva dumb sometimes.

J-hole said...

My apologies, good Sir. Maybe you will be interested in this. I will be ordering it as soon as I can talk my credit card away from my wife.

http://www.sonymusicstore.com/store/catalog/MerchandiseDetails.jsp?merchId=81933&sms=ast-acdc

P.I.M.P said...

That's funny! OGC ha ha!

Anonymous said...

J-Hole, your link is broken.

Rye said...

we've used alternately, "eat it", "i fought the law", "blowin in the wind", yakety yak", "do wah diddy" and and some beatles tunes... used billy bragg's "my flying saucer penned by woody guthrie too..

Rye said...

"on the road again"

Anonymous said...

Eat it- weird al. the cover of beat it MJ. YMCA village people is kinda catchy.

Anonymous said...

How about the Japanese combo? Taiwanese word for eat is "Ja " + " penis" = Ja-penis(japanese) / blow job.
Lazy- K

Anonymous said...

Sweet Dreams by Eurythmics??
U can play the Marilyn Manson version though.