Sunday, March 06, 2005

I'm more than willin' to talk about barbecuen and grillin'. But I suggest you first take a gander at the Smoky Hale link. This guy is undoubtedly the man. No hemmin and hawin' here. He'll throw more science at you than you can handle. No , "Well, I don't why, but we always done it that way." Be warned that not everything on that site is by him. Some of the other posters write things that might make Smoky pause, or just cuss and go write another book.

You can see below my custom-made unit. Based on a Smoky-recommended design, one of my Taichung buddies had it built for me. There are three levels for the fire grate. One for grillin, one for baking/roasting, like a turkey, and one for barbecuen.

Level three has not yet been tried out. I am in need of some fuel. Any hardwood, fruit-bearing tree will do. It don't take a lot. I accept branches. If you can help me out, I'll cook something up.

7 comments:

Red A said...

What's the policy on posting photos of actual people we know?

J-hole said...

Fine with me. But give me a heads up. My mom, neice and nephew read this.

Anonymous said...

we can go branch huntin' in the park. but we gotta all get mohawks first. think i saw a defenseless young mango near ying cai & shang xiang...

Red A said...

John, Barbara's husband has fruit trees but the wood wouldn't be dry.

He's also interested in getting a set-up like yours.

J-hole said...

Whaddya mean, it wouldn't be dry? Ever? What kind of wood is it? Where is it? And how do you know Roger in Taichung?

Red A said...

I guess it could dry naturally once it was cut down?

I found his blog from the noodle referencing blog...

J-hole said...

Strange how I knew it was you, wasn't it. Well, really, no it isn't.