Saturday, March 19, 2005

How in tune with your senses are you?

In a recent lesson at school we covered the senses. One question we addressed was which one of the five you would give up (if you had to give up one). Most said taste or smell, with a few choosing sight, one choosing hearing (so he wouldn't have to listen to me yell), and one poor sap wanted to give up touch. I informed him that once he got a girlfriend he might think twice about that. He looked confused.

Anyhow, this prompted me to an experiment which I have involuntarily been participating in over the past week. Due to a head cold, I have forsaken taste and smell for the past few days. I can report that giving up taste/smell really stinks when your friend brings you fifteen hundred dollars of Fridays and you can't taste a lick of it. However, it's a bonus when you are too lazy to take out the trash despite the dead fish in the bottom of it. Not a bad trade off, especially considering some of the places I have traveled to in the past ten years.

If my sense of smell returns by Tuesday, I am going to go blindfolded for the day (which should be interesting being as I am supposed to be attending a ball game that evening). Hearing will have to be done on a weekend for job security reasons. Not sure how I am going to lose the sense of touch for a day, but I'll come up with something. Reports forthcoming.

3 comments:

Rye said...

You will not be able to sit through a ball game blindfolded. It's against yer nature. You should choose another day to be sightless.

Red A said...

I got your cold, you SSOB.

Quarantine thyself, patient!

Bread said...

quit trying to kiss me whilst i am ill...