Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Regret

As most readers know, I'm not much of a photo guy -- I haven't owned a camera since I lost my Kodak Disc (6th Grade?). However, when I was reading a story about the frontier town of Ade, Chad some regret took hold. I spent four days there camped on the Sudanese border waiting to get across back in 2003. Now all the people I met there are living a much different hell than I can imagine. I wish I had some photos of their faces from the days of relative tranquility. More importantly, I wish we'd give some of the $9 billion we spend monthly in Iraq to them.

I specifically remember an elderly lady whose sole occupation in Ade was to sell the equivalent of Soul Glow to a people who keep their hair short. She must have won the lottery on this gel; she had boxes of it, all the same brand. Her store sold nothing else, and to be honest I don't know how she got by just selling that. But she was nice and we shared beans and smiled at each other. Where is she now? Where is my photo of her?

No comments: