Saturday, February 02, 2008

The Joys of Winter

For many Canadians, winter is considered a dismal time of year. Days in and out of slushy weather, grey skies and temperatures so cold your nostrils will freeze together when you breath in. For some they call it the winter blues.
For me, I have learned to appreciate this kind of weather….for the time being. Today in Kitchener it’s been snowing like mad. I think the forecast has predicted 25cm of snow or more. I’m not sure how much it’s actually come down but I’m sure it’s reaching that mark. Big fluffy flakes of snow in slow motion, picturesque tree lines dabbled with streaks of white and cars driving at a snails pace. I was out shovelling my mother’s drive and while looking around it dawned on me. For the average working class citizen winter brings the blues (if you aren’t into your winter sports) however, for the average retiree winter is heaven.
Take my mother’s mate as an example. He’s retired and doesn’t have much to do. Of course my mother carefully prepares a list of things for him to do before she leaves for work. But as any man might confirm after a while they become tiresome. Unload the dishwasher, hang the shelves, clean out the basement, take out the garbage. The list is probably growing repetitive and tiring. But a predicted big dump of snow will light up Ken’s eyes. “It’s gonna be a big snow tomorrow boy” he’d say repetitively throughout the evening. “Have you seen the weather forecast? At least two feet!” and he’d wander around the house like a small kid waiting for Christmas morning.
The following morning I’d hear “I told you so! Look at it!” taking credit as if he were Nostradamus. Anyways, getting back to my point, I get home from work and start shovelling the little snow left around the cars on the drive and I see Ken all the way down the street with his snow blower. He’s done the sidewalk on either side of the street and is continuing to blow out our neighbour’s drive five houses down. LOVING IT!
The next thing you know our other neighbour gets home from work. I hear the deep purr of his ATV 4X4 and he comes ripping out of his driveway looking to plow away the scraps Ken has left over. He plows down the street towards Ken and I see them talking. This is what I believe they are saying.
K: Look at all this snow! Can you believe it?
N: It would have to happen on a Friday eh?
K: No shit, I’ve been out here all day! Got your drive plowed out just in time!
N: I tried to get home as soon as I could.
K: I knew it was gonna snow like hell eh? You remember last winter? I haven't seen snow like this since then.
N: I know! There was this one time it snowed so much…….
My neighbour sees and area across the street not quite fully plowed, roars away in his ATV and cleans it up as fast as he can. A frown comes over Ken’s face as if he hadn’t done a good enough job and motors his blower back to the house. I continue shovelling the little scraps of snow around the house thinking…..I can’t wait to get me one of them toys and I wonder who will wake up first.

5 comments:

Frenchie said...

well , hopefully you will wake up somewhere other than your mothers house!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey! Where can I see the Super Hyper Duper Bowl on Monday morn in Taichung.

Michael
turton.michael@gmail.com

D-Wayne said...

superbowl at fubar

Rye said...

what time?

J-hole said...

7:00 kickoff