Saturday, February 16, 2008

I have conflicting dates on when this PSA originally aired, but it was in '69 or the early '70s. I was just a very young boy, about 6 or 7, when I saw it and it only took me a couple of viewings to learn the words and start singing along - not that I had any idea what I was singing about.

I only knew that I wanted some. After all, it was for everybody, and all the people looked so happy having it. Don't hog it all for yourselves. I don't know how or when I found out the true meaning of the ad, but it's stayed with me for almost 40 years. Neither do I know why I got to thinking about it again recently. Maybe it was Valentine's Day or maybe it was talking to some coworkers about their New Year's vacation to the Philippines.

Regardless, watch, sing along and substitute any of your favorite afflictions for theirs. What is the role of the young girl and the children in this ad? Brought to you by the Ad Council.


No comments: