Friday, March 21, 2008

Flights to Canada, now boarding

The Taiwan presidential election is tomorrow. Here are the most recent TV ads by the candidates. The first one is from Ma Ying-jeou. It starts with various supporters stressing the need for change: change the times, the future and the current predicament. Then others from different areas around the country state their readiness. Ma then comes out after the horses run around and says that for the sake of Taiwan's future and next generation, Taiwan must...yes, change
This is the DPP's Frank Hsieh's commercial. His theme is guard and protect. He reminds us of Taiwan's experience with authoritarianism and the negative results. Oh, and parents, you need to teach your children well - especially about the things at the first of the commercial and the scary Mr. Ma pointing at you in the TV in the background.

I have been intrigued by both candidates rush to the center. Hsieh has distanced himself from President Chen and Ma made a remarkable, in my mind, turnaround this week. He had previously stated that the future of Taiwan was to be decided by people on both sides of the strait, i.e., Taiwanese and a billion-plus Chinese. Now he says that decision is reserved only for Taiwanese. He is also the loudest voice advocating a potential Olympic boycott. Pretty bold talk for a handsome KMT hand puppet.

Last night at Northern Command I asked D-Wayne and Rye why they thought this was happening and what the possible results might be. First let me add my thoughts. Ma is doing this because he is afraid that former AIT chairwoman Therese Shaheen will announce at Hsieh's election eve party tonight that his green card is still valid.

The KMT has made much about other officials having green cards in the past (if they be DPP). An election eve announcement without ample time to respond to or question Shaheen could/will/might/won't harm Ma's lead. I say this with such confidence because I am confident of only one thing concerning Taiwanese voters. There's no way in hell you can ever tell what they are thinking.

There probably are better explanations, but I thought Ma enjoyed about a 20% lead in the polls. My wife has been in the States for the last 10 days and I haven't had my usual daily news fix, so pardon any obvious reasons I have overlooked.

If I recall correctly, D-Wayne and Rye were pretty much of the same opinion. Ma is an asshole...and many other bad-word things. He definitely has a green card. He is a jackass. He is going to win the election. He is a horse's ass. And, this is where D-Wayne sorta confused me, after he wins China invades and he takes his millions and goes to China. Where he will live the life of a rich, privileged asswipe.

Sorry if I didn't get it down correctly, guys. But you can post and correct any errors.

Finally, I would like to know your ideas about the new Ma and election predictions and post-election results.



Broken Link on the Hsieh video. I will fix it soon, but both his and Ma's sites are down due to so much traffic. So, in its stead, here is a Hsieh girl video.

4 comments:

D-Wayne said...

it was when the beer confused you(us?).there were two separate points. I think I said that when Ma wins, he will be very cozy with China and will have the opportunity, if he deems necessary, to pack up and live very comfortably on the mainland before or after his term(s) expire. I don't think China will invade with Ma as prez, but if they ever do, it will be over very quickly.

Rye said...

Hey John, remember when we used to work in Lukang and we'd ride past those herds of wild stallions galloping free on the Changhua plains? That was awesome.

And I don't remember saying Ma is an asshole. In fact I don't really remember slagging on anyone but the Bush admin last night.

Kevlar said...

Yo yo Ry,
You can't play
"He said She said,
I said you Said.."
You are the bent quote queen.
I am sure that nobody would EVER misquote on a blog.

Anonymous said...

In opposition the KMT didn't want to buy all those nasty American weapons and will hurry to make direct flights, etc...now I predict they will suddenly want to buy those patriotic American weapons and go slow on negotiations with China.