Friday, March 28, 2008

Baseball Season 08 Predictions

I've had my nose in the books for too long this year. Fortunately this week at work has been S L O W. So I now have time to read about baseball and I can't wait for the season to start. Lots of things have been keeping me busy away from the office and I suppose the details of those events would be better left out of a baseball prediction column. I will add this it was a sloppy fantasy draft and the E's were unorganized and uninformed. The Liriano pick really shifted my game not to mention Swisher. Anyways, on to the column.
AL EAST
Look at the intensity in this man. He seems determined and tenacious, which best describe the Red Sox. I hate this team for obvious reasons but I have to predict them to finish at the top of the East for a second straight year. Even without oldman Schilling the Sox look to have a great pitching staff. I like the offense and I expect Mr. Attitude to have a bounce back year. It all spells trouble for other AL East teams.

The Yanks and Jays will battle things out for second in the division and all although "Mulliniks, who will be working 65 games as an analyst for Rogers Sportsnet and CBC, is calling the Jays to win the World Series" I don't find this even a possibility if the Jays continue to limp. As for the Yanks, if the team is counting on the arm of Mussina to be their number two guy? Oops Pettite? Do you get the message? Yanks need someone to break out this year to compete. Speaking of break out, I like the young talent the Rays have and feel they will upset a few series this year. Probably all against the Jays. Baltimore is awful, thank god the Jays can pound on them to boost up their record.
AL CENTRAL
I can't help but love the Tigers again this year. With the big trade they aquired Mr. Pound the ball Cabrera and Mr. Sloppy Joe Willis who might not even finish the season as a starter. It doesn't matter, I love the new big bat at third and a veteran led bullpen. Pitching is good enough to keep this team in an offensive battle and Verlander will win 20. I also like the Indians for the wildcard. I didn't think they had it last year, but I stand corrected. Look for a big year from Hafner and Sizemore and the Tribe will definately need Sabathia and Carmona to have twin seasons to last. I think the Sox will bounce back from a horrid last season. I'm sure they've got to have a sleeper pitcher but I'm not too sure who that is. This team loaded? Rumour has it Swisher will bat lead off? Old bats, could win. The Twins remain a team who will remain competitive but are in the rebuilding process. They have always had a great farm and I expect similar win totals to last year. The Royals will win more but still remain out of contention.
AL WEST
Look how you this team is. They were winning last season but to be honest it's going to be a toss up. The Angels bats are fierce and some say the pitching is strong in Seattle. I personally like the Angels, but where's the pitching? Santana can pitch at home and Lackey is a solid #1 . I doubt Hunter will have a repeat season and the whole AL West smells fishy to me. Perhaps the Rangers can rise up from an era of mediocrity and steal this division or the money ballers from Oakland play money ball again. Anyways, I could care less but I take offense over pitching in this division. Angels.

I was quite proud of picking A-ROD to be MVP even though I can't stand him and I'll go with him again. He's the real deal and I believe he should be compared to the legends of history. I think this year I'll pick Verlander to win the CY.

Playoffs
Tribe over Boston , Detroit over Angels
Detroit over Tribe

Just for fun. Check this out

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

redsox??? come on now, they don't have the pitching to hang with the DRAYS!!!! and Detroit? who's going to save/setup? as a mariner observer in the mid 90s, i'm guessing no. and why does your preview only focus on the inferior league????

cubs, braves, phillies and rox in the real league, with the rox taking it to the house and destroying whomever the junior circuit puts up for fodder.

b

P.I.M.P said...

Only Part I my friend. Part two to follow monday. And you have forgotten about guitar hero who returns in may for detroit. All will be well. JAYS JAYS JAYS! Rye, I've only not predicted them by theory of the prediction jynx.
B- wtf are you talking about?

Rye said...

Rance Mulliniks predicted a WS victory? Jays are gonna need to stay healthy if they're going to even make the playoffs. Wells needs to be better. Overbay too. And Thomas. Maybe we can get the wild card. Hoping Rios & McGowan have massive years for obvious reasons...Rays are gonna be tough too. They're gonna score and their pitching isn't that bad... Tigers or Tribe in the central. Hard to say. Angels in the west...

Anonymous said...

A good write-up on both leagues.
http://sympatico.msn.ca/?lang=en-CA found on the main page at the picture portion as the 3rd entry. Click the next icon a couple times and you'll find it.
As for the Bluejays:
Top of the division if all stay healthy...
The Jays have the offence and I think picking Stewart over Johnson was a smart move as R.J's hitting was subpar and although he was fast, you need to get on base to use that speed. Thomas as the DH should bring in some runs, as long as he gets rolling b4 July, and both Rolen (when he gets back) and Ekstein should generate more runs and decent fielding. I feel bad for MacDonald though, for he was an amazing SS. Too bad he couldn't hit a beachball. Pitching could be a factor again, with Ryan and Burnett being question marks over the course of the season. Litsch and Marcum should give depth but I still think the rotation will be a weak link, especially if Halladay is struck down by God. Scutaro and Stairs will provide solid utility fielding, but I think Zaun is washed up and hope they bring in Thigpen (although Barajas is the backup on the roster right now).
I'll pick the Angels and Tigers for coming out of their respected divisions, with a fight for the wildcard btw the Red Sox, Yankees and Indians.
For the NL, it has to be the Cubs, Diamondbacks, and Mets with the West, Philly, and Milwaukee duking it out for the wildcard.

Chris

Anonymous said...

Love the patriotism, hate the predictions. Blue Jays??? Scott Rolen plays a total of 26 games, Eckstein 56 and the Jays battle it out for 3rd as usual. BSox, Mariners,Tigers,Indians. Tigers sick lineup wins out over balance of the other 3. MVP: Cabrera Cy: no idea

Senior circuit: Cubs, Pads, Mets, Rockies or Phils MVP: Tulowitsky or Utley depending on wildcard. Cy: Webb Wildcard team to series. Detroit slaughters them.
Jim