Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Finally, A Bonds Article Worth Reading

To all the Bonds' haters out there, of which there are many, I think this article sums up my feelings to a tee. Let it be known I am no fan of Bonds, at least not the Bonds of the home run. And I still remember cheering Sid Bream around third and being stoked that Bonds' throw was, um, a little off. But the pervasive nature of drugs within baseball culture was known by everyone, from the owners on down. And yes, Mr. President, this means you and your Texas Rangers.

The greatest Astro ever, Jeff Bagwell, went from being a doubles hitter in the BoSox minor league system and expendable for a tired old reliever to being one of the most feared bats in the N.L. When the league belatedly instituted its drug policy, he and many other titans of the sport remarkably went on diets and shed 30 pounds (see BigMac, Pudge, Giambi). Now that steroids are out and HGH is in, we see Tori Hunter cranking out 35 homers in a contract year. Gee, you reckon he'll be back to his standard 25 next year?

Barry Bonds has enough bad about him that we can boo him independently of steroids. But that swing, that was and is a thing of beauty. You take Ken Griffey circa 1996, I'll take Bonds. And yes, I think Junior is as guilty as Barry.

10 comments:

Rye said...

She makes a good point about Palmeiro. Why wasn't he charged with perjury?

And my second question - Assuming MLB players aren't using steroids (as much as before anyway), How prevalent were users at its height? We know it wasn't just Bonds. Pitchers were involved too right? I look at that flurry of 50 home run guys and figure, ok, those guys juiced, but how many other players do you think were using at the height of the era?

Anonymous said...

A friend who played in the Astros minor league system says EVERYONE at the big league club was doing it (Biggio was addicted to 'greenies' and bagwell was a steroid freak according to him). Whether or not he would have made the show is a moot point; he determined the effort wasn't worth it because of the pervasiveness of drugs throughout the game. He simply didn't want that lifestyle. My guess is everyone knew and the numbers Caminiti said (over 50% and closer to 75%) were on the mark. (ps. the above paragraph would be hearsay)

As for Palmero, the test he failed was after the comment to the Senate; you would have to investigate his pre-comment tests to find out if he perjured himself.

b

P.I.M.P said...

I bought a copy of Juiced two years ago. Altough I don't have the time now to read your link, I'll say that even though Conseco is a bit of a muppet he brings about some valid points.

I feel bad for Bonds. My father and I were having this discussion the other night. I think if they nail him, they need to nail everybody because everybody lied and cheated. My long pointed finger would target Roger Clemens. He's a cheater for sure

Anonymous said...

Solid article until she compared Randy Moss to Brett Favre...What!!!
I don't recall Favre quitting on his team and pouting on the sideline. It's a matter of convenience, not race, and Bonds sure is making it awfully convenient for Selig and the boys. How long did he expect that guy to rot in jail for him?

Brett Boone would be my choice for all time steroid success story. How could talent possibly disappear that fast?

Bread said...

I thought the Favre-Moss thing was a stretch too, but I haven't consistently watched the NFL since the Oilers left Houston so I couldn't really challenge her there.

Bret Boone was bad and that leadoff hitter for Baltimore (what was his name???) was worse. But it seems he only went with it for his contract year (a la Adrian Beltre), so I guess it's a wash.

I may be driving your way come xmas time, Jim. You going to be around say the 20thish of December?

Bread said...

By the way, I read today the guy is still not going to testify. We shall see...

Rye said...

that Baltimore leadoff hitter was Brady Anderson I think. He hit 50 home runs one year and it sure wasn't the sideburns.

Red A said...

"I think if they nail him, they need to nail everybody because everybody lied and cheated."

Prison yard baseball would become the new hit phenomena. San Quentin vs. Riker's Island! The TV rights could be sold to for millions and we could just pay the athletes in cigarettes and hooch.

Bread said...

Instead of the Longest Yard we could have the Longest Homer? You may be on to something here Red A.

Anonymous said...

Bread,
Just got back from Grand Lake & I can definitely back up the icesnot reality of hiking in the Rockies, though I went with the traditional boots & jeans. I'll be around for x-mas & am only 20-30 mins from your relatives. Will email you my cell #.