Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Baseball coming to Taichung... maybe

Taichung will host the 16th or 17th Incontinental Baseball Cup Tourney Nov. 9th to the 19th...

The Roman Numerals they are listing say XVI, but all the websites say 17th... I don't know... I feel stupid and confused...

From what I've heard it will be played at a new stadium somewhere in the vicinity of Cheng De and Bei Tun... not the old one down on Double Ten Rd.... anyone been there?

Teams will include Taiwan, Japan, Cuba, Italy, Korea, Netherlands, Australia and the Philippines, I think. For some reason I thought the US was coming... guess not...

past winners here

Bare bones website here, says they have a schedule but I couldn't find one..

9 comments:

Chaon said...

I've driven past the new stadium. It can be seen from Chung De Rd., on the left if you are driving towards Feng Yuan. It's pretty far out, past Huan Chung Rd maybe a mile or so.

Big Ell said...

I have also seen the new stadium on numerous occasions and doubt it will ready by that date.

Chaon said...

People were playing on it last time I drove by.

Rye said...

that's 'intercontinental baseball...' not 'incontinental'... I'm not sure what that would even imply...

Kevlar said...

Mr.Bean, We might take a bus will you come along to cuss out the bus drivers?

Bread said...

nice one kevin, i'd forgotten of dean-o's insolence. 'this is a bad f-ing company.' 'you're a bad f-ing person' 'YOU'RE COMPANY SUCKS!!!'

Anonymous said...

Count me in !!!!!!!!!

P.I.M.P said...

THe games are advertised on ESPN, I think the stadium will be ready.
I'm in.....we'll meet at shin min and drive out after work!

Anonymous said...

The new stadium looks like it will be pretty nice. Wikipedia has articles on both the stadium and the cup: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taichung_International_Standard_Baseball_Stadium and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Intercontinental_Cup
The Intercontinental Cup is a very minor event, unfortunately. I believe past US teams were made up of players from independenet leagues. There will probably be players from the US minor leagues participating in the tournament, but it's doubtful any big names will appear (there will be a major-league all-star team touring Japan at the beginning of November).