Thursday, October 05, 2006

almost a holiday

About everyone getting the Monday the 9th off... in exchange for Saturday the 14th...

This wasn't in the original playbook for next week. It was supposed to have been, Friday the 6th off for Moon Festival, back to work on Monday and then Tuesday the 10th off for 10/10. I know people who said , "Well, it sure would be nice if we had that Monday off to round out the 5 day weekend." or "I'm gonna be sick on the 9th..." or "...if we were in Canada we'd get it off..." and on and on...

Me, I was gonna work, no big deal and everything until this past Monday the 2nd when, amid rumours of the government giving everyone a holiday that day, I get the news from my school, no school on the 9th... great, wonderful, no objections here...what? There's a catch? I gotta come here on the 14th to make it up? I'm doing my Monday schedule on Saturday? Fine, I guess, it's fine in exchange for a 5 day uninterrupted holiday weekend, but why?

I've heard a couple of different theories... a) the gov't suddenly announced the bonus (with a catch) holiday in anticipation of a general strike on Monday that may or may not be inspired by or related to the current DAO BIAN shennanigans going on around the island b) people like to not know about a public holiday until the last minute c) no one had any plans for the 14th anyway...

...except for the thousands of people who had planned to get married on the 14th, as it is a very auspicious day according to the lunar calendar... I see big spreads bought and paid for with no one attending 'cause they gotta work... so no red envelopes to help pay for the parties... ouch...

Anyone hear anything else 'cause all research for this post is either conjecture, hearsay or rumour...

2 comments:

Kevlar said...

The extra day was created so Kevlar could work on the "TEACHING DEMO" Sergant Rye volunteered him for. What a dick!

Kevlar said...

Yeah. There will be lots of spelling in the DEMO.