Friday, January 13, 2006


No, this is not Larry the Cable Guy's house. This is my lovely, quaint ( probably built in the 50's) stand-alone house in Taichung. In a country where most people live in apartments or blocks of cut-rate brownstone houses, we are fortunate to have this piece of concrete. We even have a small patch of yard wrapping around the side of the house. When our city is like this, we consider ourselves blessed.

In the foreground is our deck, built by my Taiwanese friend with a Japanese name, Yo-san. What good would a deck be without stuff to put on it? And number one on any right-thinking male's list should be a grill. This grill can broil, roast and barbecue, assuming that you can. It was built by my South African friend with the unlikely name of Yuri B. Human, according to a design promoted by Smoky Hale in his Great American Barbeque Instruction Book. Buy the book. You'll improve your grilled fare 100% after 2 pages. No lie. Can I get an "Amen", Big Ell?

Chinese New Year approaches and work is tapering off. A great time to continue my 'cuing. St. Louis style spareribs? Check. Barbecued beef chuck? Yep. Time for a barbecued pork shoulder. However, I'm running out of the persimmon wood that I've been using. If any locals have access to any acceptable hardwood - a fruit-bearing tree will be most likely around here - you've guaranteed yourself a seat at the table. If you don't have the wood, you're still welcome, provided you provide me with...oh, let's say something to drink or a good recipe for chicken spaghetti ( And don't bother go getting it off the Internet. I want a tried-and-tested recipe from a mom or the church picnic). I'm shooting for the week either before or after Chinese New Year. Let me know soon, as I will be in the Philippines during CNY. 恭喜發財 GōngXǐ FāCái (Happy New Year).

4 comments:

Big Ell said...

Amen brother. I haven't read much more but it is illuminating. Do you have room at the table for a Canuck? I have all sorts of liquor.

Anonymous said...

Looks great ,Hey remember you get wool from sheep...

Anonymous said...

ah, jerry. that's why i repeated it twice. "sheep provide us with wool"

J-hole said...

Plenty of room Big Ell. It's now looking like it will be around Feb.2-5.