Thursday, June 12, 2008

Subway Sandwiches

A new Subway franchise opened within walking distance of my house. (This would be the one on Hsitun Rd. and Henan Rd. across from the gas station.)

I went to try it out last night, and was a bit surprised when they made my Roast Beef 12" sandwich with a two inch gap in the meat and only two triangles of cheese for the whole sandwich. Maybe I have not been to a Subway in Taiwan for six months, but I remember the meat covering the whole sandwich area and 4 triangles of cheese.

Well, I made my complaints known and asked them to make sure this was the correct portions. I may have even used the phrase "Lao Ban Kai Hei Dian." It was such a pathetic sandwich I actually came home and added my own salami and cheese to it. Obviously, I'll just start making my own if this is the new regime at Subways (which sucked even before they went to the new North Korean "Juche" portions.)

We called the owner's wife (he is a foreigner but she is Taiwanese) and asked about the portions. She claimed those are the new portions coming down from HQ. I know food prices are soaring so this may be true. Please let me know if you have had similar experiences at Subway and be forewarned if you are eating at the Fengjya shop I mentioned.

SIDE NOTE: On the same trip I caught my 7-11 advertising Busch beer for NT$ 44 a can. I said, oh well, the price of barley, rice, and hops must be really high. Turns out it was a mistake. The price remains NT$ 34 per can and I alerted the staff to their error.

Just call me Ralph Nader for a day.

3 comments:

David said...

I don't go to Subway very often but it's been like that for a few months. They had a letter up in Chinese and English explaining the changes due to higher food prices. They blamed the drought in Australia for the reduction in the amount of cheese. This is the era of globalisation.

John Naruwan said...

Islaformosa posted on this as well. http://blog.islaformosa.com/2008/04/cheese-problems-at-subway.html

Best quote is at the end. "For now, I decide to let those two extra slices of cheese go and pay the same price so I guess I'm doing my part."

Read that last bit again, "...so I guess I'm doing my part." ROFL!

James said...

I had the same experience and reaction. This is just silly, and you don't see other fast food places taking the same stance. For example, I am not getting 1/2 a slice at McDonalds on my cheese burger.

I think the vendor should swallow the expense or raise the price. Don't under deliver. I do like Subway, and visit there ~2x a month, but this is just a stupid way of saying "our materials have gone up, so be happy with getting less for the same price".