Saturday, June 14, 2008

End of the school year: contracts

A week of classes is left before final exams and summer vacation. Cue my supervisor's rush to the junior high office with the contracts for the foreign teachers. We usually give it a very cursory glance, focusing on the minimum hours and salary amount and sign.

This year I hesitated. We had found out that some of the things we neglected were no longer there, such as our guaranteed yearly raise and 6 paid days of medical leave (of which I have not taken one day in six years). Our fault for not looking closely and trusting them to at least come to us and explain their reasons. When asked about the omissions, they ( the higher-ups, the poobahs ) said that they thought we would read the contract (Ouch!) and they really didn't have to explain their reasoning behind their actions (Boo!Hiss!).

Well, I turned in my signed contract and am waiting to see if the overlords are more vigilant than I (item 6) in contract review. If not, I will start a sign-up list for rides next week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now John, How will Sparky take to having a pony sharing the house with her ?