Sunday, June 08, 2008

People were smarter in the old days

I know this because I actually had to use a dictionary when reading a reprint of a 1936 Mickey Mouse comic book to my kid.

It used the word "lavaliere" which was apparently suitable for a kids comic book from 1936.

Also, the comic book featured mouse orphans, Horace the Horse, and an angry, drunk looking proto-Donald Duck.

We just rented a Mickey Mouse DVD last night that was really old cartoons, probably from the same era. It had escaped "killer" gorillas being tear gassed, Mickey shooting ghosts with a shotgun, and Donald giving firecrackers to kids coming to trick or treat.

Its a huge difference from the modern Mickey Mouse Clubhouse where everyone's special and even the extremely mild villain Pete isn't really so bad.

I also note that two cartoons looked like the inspiration for some modern movies:

Duck Pimples
for Roger Rabbit and Lonesome Ghosts for Ghostbusters.

Link to Lonesome Ghost on Youtube. If you are really bored. I only watched them because my kid made me.

No comments: