Friday, December 28, 2007

What did you get?

To the great relief of my wife, Christmas finally arrived. She has been thinking up ways to open presents since Thanksgiving - Let's open a couple so the kids (our students) can see what it's like or I think I know what that one is, so I might as well open it. I was able to fight her off until Christmas Eve when we celebrated. I enjoyed all of my gifts, some good clothes and books, but a couple stood out. A cooking apron and some DVDs.

Sounds pretty mundane, huh? Well, it just takes a little thought to allow these items to become, in my mind, unique. First is the apron. I cook and grill often. So it's practical. Okay. But where it transcends the white chef's apron or the goofy slogan apron is the material. Denim. Tough, sturdy, rugged denim. Grillwork is not prissy stuff. Fire, smoke, sizzle, sauce and juices. Denim conceals the occasional hand wipe or the flavorful exploding fat bomb until it can be pulled off ( a one-step quick release snap) and thrown into the washer. The quick release and heavy material also make it ideal for whipping up on would be grill thieves. Three tall-boy pockets make sure I have all of my, ahem, sauces in easy reach and it can also be used as a hot pad. A grill apron for men.

The DVDs earn a special look because of their content. My Uncle Don played at Tech with his friend E.J. Holub, though E.J.'s football career was a little more distinguished. He has box seat season tickets and they make the drive up from Medina to attend Tech's home games and frequently take my mother along. He knows of my support for the Red Raiders and these are the factors that make these DVDs special. 12 Tech games on DVD. Prepared by the Red Raider Club they include pregame, halftime and postgame shows, all focusing on Tech. The actual play has no commercials and much of the lag time walking back to the huddle is eliminated. It's just the right touch - quick enough to watch in a little over an hour but not so fast that the atmosphere and mood are gone. My students have really enjoyed seeing a real football game on the big screens in our classrooms. And when I tell them to "Git your guns up!" they do.

So, what about you? What interesting, wonderful or horrible gift did you get?


Help Needed - I have a high school student, Jack, that I have taught for about a year-and-half during his time at I-Ning. He has always been a hard working English student. Unlike most students, he takes the initiative, approaching me and others to engage in conversation and takes responsibility for his English learning. The last two years he has been practicing magic (and testing out his tricks in English) and he's not bad. Not great either, but he's always working and might be one day. Yesterday he came over to me and asked when I was going back to the States. I told him I was going back in the summer. That is too late. He graduates this year and I will not be back before he leaves our school. His request is a U.S. half dollar for use in some magic tricks. If anyone has one that they would be willing to give up, I and Jack both would greatly appreciate it. He really is a great kid. Let me know. Thanks.

No comments: