Monday, July 10, 2006

Dixie Chickens

Lubbock is a deep-pockets contributor to Texas music, a fact that many inside and outside of Texas are not aware of. Austin bills itself as The Live Music Capital of the Multiverse, but the musicians must come from somewhere, and many come from Lubbock and West Texas - Amarillo, Littlefield, Levelland, Wink, Turkey, Brownfield and Monahans to name a few. All are part of this distinct style that is bred from, not led by, passion. I'm sure there are many native Austin musicians, but, except for The Uranium Savages, none come to mind.

Texas music is about Texas places, food, women, drinking, desolation, storms, trains, cowboys, in-laws and outlaws and of course, Texas music. Like its culinary kin, barbecue, Texas music is the product of a keen choice of ingredients; processes both regimented and inspired and, variety. Variety - the crux of originality and freshness. Like hot sauce, picante, salsa and pico de gallo - kissin' cousins providing a prodigious palate-ial passel of pickins for our pleasure - variety continually sparks our synapses and stimulates our senses. Pigeon-hole Joe Ely for me and I'll buy you a case.

On this note, I will quickly deal with the Dixie Chicks. There has been a bit of a to-do concerning them - one that has gone on too long and probably should be referred to the student council for adjudication. My concern has less to do with their politics than their music. Therefore, I will give a brief and comprehensive summary of events.

Natalie Maines was born and grew up in Lubbock. Her father , Lloyd, is a steel guitar wonder as well as successful producer. Her uncles had one of the most successful bands in the Hub City area for years. The Chicks became successful, Natalie said something. People were offended. She was offended that people were offended. Daddy didn't like Lubbock anymore because some Lubbockites were offended. Then she offended again both in print and song and it began all again. I really don't care about all of this. The offended parties should just meet in Dirt Square after school and settle once and for all so we can bitch about something important like water-rate hikes. Seems to me that too many celebs don't remember the Entertainment Prime Directive: Entertainment pacifies our souls - Infotainment tries pacifists' souls. So, when they (Natalie) state - I hear they hate me now. Just like they hated you (talking about Buddy Holly), Maybe when I'm dead and gone I'm gonna get a statue too - they have sorely tried and taxed my soul. Their one-two punch of a lie (Lubbock hating Holly) and a bucketful of self-aggrandizement begs for a visit from a member of BWBA/BWSA.

So, what's it all about, Senor Alfie? Nothing other than these ladies have diverted the musical spotlight away from musicians and onto themselves. The Chicks just are not Texas music. They have the ingredients, but nothing else. Maybe they used to have the rest, or maybe they never had them. The bottom line is that they are musical amputees and should consider moving to the candy-pop-country city of Nashville to pose and opine in.

Computer willing, a good introduction into Texas music via Lubbock musicians will be coming soon.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well the blog neant nothing to me but COOL to hear from you.

Chaon said...

The song you quote is titled "Lubbock or Leave it", which is a pretty clever name for a song. Even so, I don't quite get the reference. Who hated Buddy Holly?

And one of the original Dixie Chicks was a Laura Lynch. Kinfolk to any of our erstwhile bloggers?

Rye said...

nice alliterations.

buddy holly wasnt popular in lubbock?

Chaon said...

Oh, I got it. Turns out there *was* some ill will towards Buddy Holly in Lubbock, relating to the fact that his wife's maiden name was Maria Elena Santiago. Yeah, that.

More discussion here:
http://forums.lubbockonline.com/cgi-bin/bb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000517

J-Hole, what is this "Strip" they are talking about?

As for the Chicks, I think they live in Los Angeles now, so they are not Texas Music at any rate. By my view, since they don't use synthesizers or drum machines, then their stuff doesn't even count as 'music'.

So, how is the acid trance scene going in Lubbock?

Anonymous said...

The only thing happened in Lubbock lately is it became part of Mehico!!

J-hole said...

That's his wife and nobody likes her.I take the word of his brothers and guys I know who knew him. She is viewed as a , well, sorta like I view my mother-in-law - and their both still kickin . Oh, Karl. Thanks for telling me the name of the song that I quoted. As Bread says, "Thanks for the update."

Chaon said...

I wasn't telling you, I was telling the other Ni Howdyites. Lubbock or Leave it. Heh heh heh.

Now tell us about the strip, or is it The Strip?

Red A said...

J-Hole, I just heard a song called "Come Back to Texas" or something (maybe Ohio?) by Bowling For Soup. Would they be considered Texas music?

Have a good time in the baking heat.

Anonymous said...

t-shirt for the nihowdy crowd
http://www.tshirthell.com/store/product.php?productid=704

Rye said...

i already got one. any more bright ideas o nameless one?