Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Summer School Extra Credit

Normally, I am completely against hunger strikes. Firstly, I think it's extremely selfish. It's the same as a little kid holding their breath til they turn blue. I don't care if Gandhi did it and got his way. It's still very selfish and it wastes other people's time and resources caring for you. That's no way to treat your body. Be active,man! Cut off their food supply, or at least taint it. Keep it mano-a-man. It's a wussy, protracted version of suicide, which is a popular way in Taiwan of showing your innocence, righteousness or just plain hepness. Secondly, the hunger strikers rarely follow through, showing a serious lack of commitment. Slackers.

However, I am making an exception in one case. Li Wen-cheng, a student from Fu Jen Catholic University started a hunger strike on Thursday. He's protesting scandals that surround Taiwanese president, Chen Shui-bian. I have been out of pocket lately concerning local news, but I believe one scandal has just remained simmering at the unproved accusation stage and the other concerns his son-in-law, who appears to be headed up the river. Thank God I'm not held accountable for my mother-in-law or brother-in-law or I would be getting a lifetime immersion course in Taiwanese. His son-in-law? Son-in-laws are thieving, conniving scoundrels stealing daddy's little girl. I bet Chen probably turned him in himself, but didn't foresee the consequences.

Initially, I was not for his hunger strike, but by my 7 Seven Deadly Sins scorebook, he's up 4-3. For him, he has Envy, Lust, Gluttony and Greed. Against him, he has Pride, Anger and Sloth, so I figure he's okay. Mortal Sins are a little bit harder to judge, but I'm calling it even with Suicide going against him and Adultery for him ( I am assuming here). The topper was his status as student. Who has not been told by one of their parents that if start something, you should finish it? If you don't try you'll never succeed. Evidently, Taipei mayor Ma Ying-Jeou and I agree that this young man should fulfill his commitment. He has been the only prominent politician to visit him, very obviously to lend his support. He needs to learn to start seeing things through to their completion. Li states that his classmates and his willpower will let him succeed. Let's all add our wishes and support to theirs.

No comments: