Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Buddy Holly Days

All the Buddy Holly talk got me to thinking about the first time I met JW. It was back in the summer of '98 and I'd just arrived. I met Petra, Tahoe Tom and Stinky Will the same day and we all went up into the hills outside Changhua to drink beer and play hacky-sack by some feng-shui placed furniture overlooking some dense puckerbrush. Tenn Jeff was there too. Remember him? I asked John where he was from and when he said Lubbock, I replied, "Oh, the home of Buddy Holly!" I recall he looked surprised and nodded, "That's right. Goddammit, Pey-tra, yall hear that? Wow man! Nice to meet ya!" I don't recall what was said when I told him I was from New Brunswick.
Anyway, we got to talking about Buddy and John told me about the Buddy Holly-day or Buddy Holly Days that are celebrated every year in Lubbock in honor of his memory.
I thought that was a pretty cool idea and we drank some more beer. Later, John complimented me on the wearing of my ball cap under my motorcycle helmet, "That's very Taiwanese of you, Ryan." I later realized that JW doesn't think much about the way Taiwanese drive scooters. What are the 3 peeves? Knee-knockin', elbow-tuckin', foot-draggin' somethin' somethin'?
So when is Buddy Holly Day anyway? I've never been to Lubbock but summertime seems like as good a time as any to do it. Is there a parade? Buddy impersonators?

*My mother always had Buddy's greatest hits on cassette in her cars throughout the 70s and 80s. My fav was "Oh Boy". Looked for it on the tube but the sound is off a second or two so here's a nice short version of "That'll be the Day".

No comments: