Friday, January 04, 2008

High Speed Rail 7-11 Question

If you have ever driven on Taiwan's highways and used the rest areas, you might have noticed that the convenience stores inside the rest area don't sell Coca Cola products. They only sell "local" brands like Sars, Vitalon, and Supao. It was annoying because I wanted a diet Coke. Not a big deal, but apparently since the rest areas are state-owned, so was the store, or at least it bowed to pressure to sell only "local" brands or demanded a stocking charge that Coca Cola wasn't going to pay. I believe those stores were actually state-owned and operated, so I think it was a conscious decision not to sell "foreign" brands. (This might have changed but was the case several years ago.)

Now I was just in the 7-11 at the High Speed Rail station when I noticed they only sold Taiwan Beer and TsingTao Beer (now also made in Taiwan.) There were no other beer brands available, though Coca Cola was. It guess it could just be an issue of space, but I doubt it as they had room for more brands. And if I had to choose beer brands to sell on the basis of sales alone, I would sell Taiwan Beer, Kirin Beer, and maybe Heineken.

I wonder if instead that the 7-11 stores only carry "made in Taiwan" products because they are in state owned property. Which would be rather hilarious when you are using a rail system primarily built by foreigners. I guess forcing us to buy Taiwan made beers in the 7-11 helps offset the profits those Japanese train makers made.

Now, again, I may be fully off base here - maybe it was just a space decision and TsingTao really outsells Kirin in retail stores, so let me know anyone knows anything. I think that at the regular Taipei Train Station, the 7-11 does sell foreign beers. I know for a fact that at the Taichung train station I used to be able to buy German tall boys of Veltins.

UPDATE: After some research, I found that Taiwan beer (and associated brands) retains 80% market share for beer in Taiwan. Okay, I have no problem with stocking Taiwan beer (and Gold Medal.) But is TsingTao really the next most popular beer? According to this article it was for a while. Maybe it still is. So maybe that's the correct mix for a limited size 7-11. According to the article, American beer actually outsells Japanese beers. For some reason I keep thinking that Taiwanese like Kirin. Maybe they really do drink Miller.

p.s. For all of those who drink TsingTao at the bars...is that what you drink when you buy at 7-11? I somehow doubt it. Let me know, though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bought a few Busch cans at the HSR station months back. Haven't seen 'em since.

J-hole said...

Doesn't matter. My wife won't let me drink at 6 in the morning.

Anonymous said...

I had some Yebisu from Family Mart, Thumbs up.
Don't you own a couple of cars? Shouldn't you be drinking there and not hanging out at train stations?

Red A said...

We wanted to get to Taipei for a 10:00 a.m. appointment and back ASAP.

HSR got me there and back by 1:30 p.m.

I could have drove I guess, but I;m watching my carbon footprint.