Thursday, April 12, 2007

High Speed Rail Report

I took the high speed rail back from Taipei a couple of days ago. My impressions:

1. It was pretty easy to buy the tickets and the Taipei station is located in the regular old train station.

2. The seat was a bit uncomfortable at first (perhaps too stiff?) and the handrests were made of hard plastic. Normally I would not care except that the ticket costs NT$ 700 one way, versus NT$ 150 for the bus, so I was expecting better seating.

3. Is Banciao really that important of a city for it to have a stop?

4. The train doesn't seem very fast when you are sitting down in your seat. It seems only moderately faster than a Tz-Chiang Hau. However, when you go between the carriages (where the bathrooms are) you can feel the speed a bit more. It's an exceptionally smooth ride, too.

5. Wow - you arrive in Taichung pretty fast. I'm glad I didn't try to take a nap. It's a one hour trip from Taipei to Taichung, so only bring along one or two beers.

6. The Taichung high speed rail station was basically empty except for a smattering of tourists. The 7-11 had a lot of customers, but look for the McDonald's there to close soon I think.

7. Oh, the station is in Wu Rh - no wonder it's empty...but there were a ton of taxis all waiting. The taxi fare from the station to my house was NT$ 250, and I think I live rather close to the station (via expressway) than most parts of Taichung.

Here's the score:

Bus: bumpy ride, but nicer seats. NT$ 100 for Taxi, NT$ 150 for ticket.
HSR: fast ride, bad seats. NT$ 250 for Taxi, NT$ 700 for ticket.

Overall, if the HSR station was closer, I'd probably take it over the bus, because saving one hour plus is close to being worth NT$ 550. I think their main business will be people living farther south who want to go to Taipei and business travelers. I don't know why they didn't hook it up to CKS Airport because I can see people paying a premium to make a flight. UPDATE: They have a plan that will have some sort of MRT hooking it up to the airport.

Official Site

Wikipedia Entry

The ultimate reason for taking the HSR...if Taipei had a Taco Bell.

2 comments:

J-hole said...

But the Wu Rih station is only about 2 minutes away from the beer factory. That must be a plus.

Kevlar said...

Thanks for the report. I've been teaching a unit about interesting places and students could only guess at the cost of getting to Taipei. The bus has got to be the quickest way of getting from Daya road to Taipei.