Monday, June 18, 2007

How to procrastinate - Maria Elena Holly style!

"Think it over what you just said. Think it over in your pretty little head. " - Buddy Holly, "Think It Over"
“I have always supported the city of Lubbock’s efforts to honor my husband. The current misunderstanding evolves from the failure of certain entities associated with the city in using my husband’s name without first consulting me. I have tried very hard to protect my husband's name, image, and reputation over the past 47 years and I will continue to do so." Maria Elena Holly
So how does she go about protecting her husband's name? By threatening to sue the non-profit orginization that oversees the Buddy Holly Walk of Fame and Buddy Holly Terrace. Net result, goodbye Buddy Holly Walk of Fame. See ya' later Buddy Holly Terrace. Maria has come to town (via her lawyers) to fight for you.
Of course, she does have the rights to her husband's name and how it is used. What is peculiar is her timing. Nothing was said some 20 years ago when the city held a concert to raise money for the Buddy Holly statue and honor him as the first inductee into the Walk of Fame. She was equally silent at the dedication ceremony for the Buddy Holly Plaza in 1995 for which she actually was present. But her actions are not without precedent. The Buddy Holly Music Festival had to change its name to the Lubbock Music Festival after she raised the fee after several years.
Next time my wife gets on me for not doing something immediately, I am going to invoke the M.E.Holly defense and kick back for several years...and then get all over it.
P.S. - Why can't I get breaks by using the Enter button?

No comments: