Monday, October 15, 2007

An Imperfect Storm

As my wife and I are in the planning stages for our return home to Texas, she tasked me with actually coming up with some plans. I responded that I had already finalized my plan, which was to not make any plans. Not acceptable. So I told her I would brainstorm some ideas and get back to her. Here is my list of Things I Want To Do, transcribed, unedited from my notebook.

  • Get in better shape
  • Something with chiles, beef or cheese (not soft)
  • Improve my Chinese
  • Be a Yakult rep.
  • Make a table or workbench using mortise and tenon joints
  • Buy a Leatherman
  • Never have to prepare another resume
  • Never teach in public school in the US
  • A fusion barbecue and traditional Chinese tea shop
  • Mesquite ranch / farm
  • Be able to dunk again
  • Never own a cell phone
  • Have a NBA or college player come to my school in Taichung and give a basketball clinic.
  • Wear a Lee Deng-Hui t-shirt to the Beijing Olympics
  • Maybe a bubble tea shop place thingee
  • Find a third person to play Red Alert 2 with Red A and myself
  • Get a henna tattoo that says Henna tattoos suck! ( Actually tried this on vacation in Boracai, but was refused by all )
  • Five-toed socks for my family ( This should be on my Christmas gift list but if I didn't write it down, I would forget about it)
  • Taco Villa manager

I thought I started strong with a safe standard. Her nod of agreement turned into a facial furrowing of fury after the second one. I explained that my brain does not storm uninterruptedly. There are fluctuations. Sometimes it gusts, drizzles, freezes or just hits a dead calm.

I found out that there definitely are wrong ideas in brainstorming and that doing exactly what you are asked to do can be worse than not doing it at all.

下一項

Coming soon - Schedules and information about the two upcoming baseball tournaments in Taichung. I thought one of the other hibernating contributors might want unlimber their fingers and take a stab at it, but it appears not.

1 comment:

P.I.M.P said...

I play RED Alert. Is that command and conquer? I love that game. Although finding a player for Red Alert is not on my list, it's probably important to have a list when you return. Things are a bit different in North America and it's gonna take some time to get used to. Anyways, if serious, contact me to eliminate #16 off your list.