Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Yo creo en Pancho Clos!


Feliz Fiesta? No sir! It's Feliz Navidad! Definitely so in Lubbock, Texas. We'll keep using Christmas and Navidad when appropriate. To my soon-to-be-perplexed compadres in the North, East, West Coast, college coffee houses...I offer this story of multiculturalism originating from the Hub City, the story of Pancho Clos. The story was written in Spanish by Jesse Reyes from Lubbock, Texas, based on an older song. It's downright confusing, but, in the link below, look for the burritos, fuel sources, collective bargaining and the development of elves and women. Here is the thorough(ly challenging ) explanation of the story from from El Editor newspaper in Lubbock.

We'd like to wish a Merry Christmas to our friends who are not on the island at the moment -
Bread and Ex-Gentleman Chris, Frenchie, D-Wayne, Tall Karl , Tom-u, English John and D.U.G. - as well as to those still here and those never destined to visit.

If you'll be in Taichung for Christmas, don't have plans and would like to celebrate, let me know - quickly. My wife is pushing me to get a turkey. I was thinking of barbecued chuck or a Boston butt (pork shoulder for all you wise acres). PJ will be showing the football games in the morning and Deshea will be making breakfast for anyone who would like to join. Please let her know before showing up and demanding some of her very good grub. I think I'll stay around the house - I can always sneak upstairs to watch the game.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a very Merry Christmas to those still on the island. D.U.G.

Kevlar said...

Merry Christmas. Boy! -what- a -chef- Kevin-RD is hosting a turkey dinner for the inlaws. How should I make the mashed potatoes and carrots? cooking tips, golly gee who woould be the guy to ask? Oh perhaps John could post a good receipe. HINT HELP HINT. 11 pound turkey sans the pie from The Landis 1600 nt$ already on order.

Teresa Kings said...

Hiya, This is Teresa, and my father, Jesse Reyed, did write that story. Unfortunately, for years he was never given acknowledgement, until Bidal Aguero from El Editor, decided to help my brother, sister and I in writing his obituary. My father never did it for the credit, he wanted for once to be a Santa Clos, that related to us. Why not make a man who was Santa's cousin from Mexico? They all worked on him, and decided to call him, Pancho Clos! My father had many a story about Pancho Clos, including, one character they cut out pretty early in. His wife, Concho Clos. They even had a big event to mimic a real shotgun wedding! My dad played her father, and it was comical. They had even done a fundraiser to raise money to get the children who were in the "barrio", presents instead of empty promises. One fundraiser, was that Pancho Clos, had been kidnapped and all that was ledt behind were his boots, and Concha was on the radio devestated. So, the money they sent in, people knew were just donations for the children. Then, when the dealine was up, Pancho Clos was publicly released, and the bad guys were put in jail. They did a lot of stuff like this. Which they had stopped doing after awhile, and then started doing again. A local car club raises the money, and buys the children gifts for Christmas, randomly handing out a present for every boy and girl. Every one at the G.I. Forum will say, it was a mixture of several people who did it, but the way my dad tells it. It all started with a certain song, they thought would be a great inspiration to the community. The men who put it all together, well that, my father always said started with him and Bidal Aguero. My father passed on June 30, 2004, but he told me all about the story, the song, and how it got started.

Teresa Kings said...

Btw, so sorry for all the typos, lol, trying to type fast with horrible auto-correct. Also, I'm guessing, my thumbs are too fat! Lol